Relay Publishing is a significant portion of my freelance business. I look forward to working alongside Harry and his first-rate team of professionals with every project. Relay’s business model really is the future of publishing, and I feel blessed to be part of such a forward-thinking team.
I’ve worked with Relay for more than four years and in that time, I’ve been increasingly impressed with the growth of the company and the projects completed. As a 20+ year veteran of the publishing industry, watching Relay’s transition from novice to expert has been nothing short of phenomenal and it’s been my pleasure to help be a part of the growth.
“Coming onboard with Relay Publishing was far and away the best career decision I ever made. I get to work with a dynamic team of people to spin stories readers love. Best of all, I make my own schedule, and I can take my work with me wherever I go. Travel the world, be your own taskmaster, and write for a living!”
“I want to tell you that you’ve got a good thing going (which I’m sure you already know). I came to Relay Publishing after editing for several difficult authors in a row, and I had almost forgotten how it felt to work together to make a stronger book. But Relay Publishing has reminded me why I have so enjoyed editing fiction.”
“I feel gratified that I was able to contribute to the revised concept, since I really liked the characters that came out of that process. I felt part of the collaborative and creative process, and Relay staff made me feel part of the team and not just a freelancer.”
“I love writing for Relay! It’s my favorite freelance job ever”
“It’s been one of the most enjoyable and supportive experiences of my writing career. It’s great to feel trusted and respected (and vice versa) by an extremely professional team – and it’s brilliant to feel part of that team.”
– Paul, Dec ’18
There are three main groups of writers who work with us:
- You have a great writing voice and words flow from you easily, but you don’t enjoy plotting and outlining. We’re experts in plotting and story structure – the entire story is plotted out before you write the first word. You’ll know exactly who the characters are and where the story is going, allowing you to focus on the writing.
- You’re an experienced writer, perhaps with books already published, who is looking to fit a smaller project into your schedule.
- You’re just starting out on your writing journey and you are looking to improve your craft through detailed editorial feedback while earning a reliable income.
Whichever group you fall into, if you’re looking for a competitive and reliable income from your writing while honing your skills with seasoned editorial staff, Relay Publishing is interested in you.
How it works
We take incredible story ideas and collaborate with talented writers to bring them to life. Story ideas and concepts are created by our in-house team, which are then fleshed out into detailed character profiles and outlines. We then work with one of our writers to bring this outline to life.
We love great stories (who doesn’t?) and we’re passionate about the people who write them. When you work with us, you’ll be working with people who respect and admire what you do – because they’re writers too. Write for us and be part of an ambitious, supportive team who have one goal: to create amazing stories.
Here’s the process broken down:
- Story ideas and concepts are created by our in-house team using market research and good old fashioned brainstorming.
- These ideas are then fleshed out into detailed outlines and character profiles forming a 10 page project pack.
- We then go through our pool of writers to find a voice & style that fit the story best.
- The writer is approached with the concept and outline. If their schedule is open, we’ll discuss the story, set-up payment terms and a contract with them to write the story.
- Each writer is assigned a story expert and an experienced editor. They will be your contacts if you have any questions about the outline and to help you shape the story to it’s best possible version.
- Once the story is finished, you’ll be sent the copyright contract to sign and then paid in full.
Rights of the Story
This is a commissioned work-for-hire project, so after payment is released the full rights of the story will be transferred to us. Many writers have used commissioned projects to learn the craft and propel their writing career. Paula Hawkins, bestselling writer of The Girl On The Train credits her commissioned work with developing herself as a fiction writer:
“…the Amy Silver novels were commissioned. I was given the idea by someone else. They were really fantastic as a learning experience for a fiction writer. I really got to flex my fiction muscles and try things out, play around with structures. So by the time I got to this book, which really came from me and was all my own ideas and what I wanted to do, I had an idea in my head how I wanted to structure things and how I was going to pace things, and what might work and what might not. It was a really good instruction into writing.”
Our rates are extremely competitive—75% of our writers graded their payment rates as good or excellent. Please contact us for more information.
If you’re interesting in writing for Relay Publishing, fill in our application form by CLICKING HERE.
If you’re interesting in editing for Relay Publishing, fill in our application form by CLICKING HERE.
If you’re interesting in creating graphics for Relay Publishing, fill in our application form by CLICKING HERE.