Why Creative Writers Work With Us
There are three main groups of writers who work with us:
- You have a great writing voice and words flow from you easily, but you don’t enjoy plotting and outlining. We’re experts in plotting and story structure – the entire story is plotted out before you write the first word. You’ll know exactly who the characters are and where the story is going, allowing you to focus on the writing.
- You’re an experienced writer, perhaps with books already published, who is looking to fit a smaller project into your schedule.
- You’re just starting out on your writing journey and you are looking to improve your craft through detailed editorial feedback while earning a reliable income.
Whichever group you fall into, if you’re looking for a competitive and reliable income from your writing while honing your skills with seasoned editorial staff, Relay Publishing is interested in you.
How it works
We take incredible story ideas and collaborate with talented writers to bring them to life. Story ideas and concepts are created by our in-house team, which are then fleshed out into detailed character profiles and outlines. We then work with one of our writers to bring this outline to life.
We love great stories (who doesn’t?) and we’re passionate about the people who write them. When you work with us, you’ll be working with people who respect and admire what you do – because they’re writers too. Write for us and be part of an ambitious, supportive team who have one goal: to create amazing stories.
Here’s the process broken down:
- Story ideas and concepts are created by our in-house team using market research and good old fashioned brainstorming.
- These ideas are then fleshed out into detailed outlines and character profiles forming a 10 page project pack.
- We then go through our pool of writers to find a voice & style that fit the story best.
- The writer is approached with the concept and outline. If their schedule is open, we’ll discuss the story, set-up payment terms and a contract with them to write the story.
- Each writer is assigned a story expert and an experienced editor. They will be your contacts if you have any questions about the outline and to help you shape the story to it’s best possible version.
- Once the story is finished, you’ll be sent the copyright contract to sign and then paid in full.
Rights of the Story
This is a commissioned work-for-hire project, so after payment is released the full rights of the story will be transferred to us. Many writers have used commissioned projects to learn the craft and propel their writing career. Paula Hawkins, bestselling writer of The Girl On The Train credits her commissioned work with developing herself as a fiction writer:
“…the Amy Silver novels were commissioned. I was given the idea by someone else. They were really fantastic as a learning experience for a fiction writer. I really got to flex my fiction muscles and try things out, play around with structures. So by the time I got to this book, which really came from me and was all my own ideas and what I wanted to do, I had an idea in my head how I wanted to structure things and how I was going to pace things, and what might work and what might not. It was a really good instruction into writing.”
Our rates depend on length of project (by word count) and time we’ve worked with the writer (more experienced writers will be given higher rates). Payment per word ranges from $0.03 to $0.06.
There is also a bonus structure for when the book hits certain sales thresholds.
If you’re interesting in writing for Relay Publishing, check out the Relay Recruitment Portal or fill in our application form here.